ammeter wired backwards?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ammeter wired backwards?
From: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:51:16 -0700
Hi List
Well the engine is finally running after several years of not running.  Can
someone tell me if my ammeter is working properly?  When cranking the
starter the needle will point to the right "charge".  When the engine is
idling, the needle indicate slightly left (discharge) about the "10" mark.
Rev up the engine a bit and it indicates even more discharge about "20".  I
would have thought it should do just the opposite.  The battery seems to be
holding its charge ok  Amp meter returns to 0 on enjine shutdown.  The
Generator has been polarized by briefly wiring and touching the field
terminal to the battery negative post.
  Looking at the meter wiring  I think maybe it is reversed.  The passanger
side lug (right) is wired  brown with white and goes to the voltage
regulator.  The :eft lug/ brown wire goes to the starter solenoid.
  Thanks a bunch
   Bill in MN
   54 TR2... running!