Re: coil question

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: coil question
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:06:41 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:33 AM
Subject: coil question

>A general question about ignition coils: I have noticed that the coil gets
>too hot to touch after running for a while. Is this normal? I have a Lucas
>Sport coil on my TR6 and am attempting to track down some rough running
>after the car has been driven for a while. It appears to run OK after it's
>warmed up in the garage. Cap, rotor, points/condensor are all new and the
>carbs look good.
>
> Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Phil-
    Initially it sounds like your coil has high resistance causing it to
overheat. If you have a digital multi meter (DVOM), check resistance of the
coil primary by going across coil + to coil -. Then check the secondary
circuit resistance from coil center to coil + or coil -. Check for shorts by
checking resistance from coil + or - to the coil case. I will bring my DVOM
home tomorrow and check my sport coil and send you my findings to compare.
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
70 GT6+