Re: 70 Spitfire Update.

To: "List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 70 Spitfire Update.
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:41:17 -0000
Hi Darrel
I would strongly advise against fitting switches to enable first o/d, wayyy
too much torque through the unit in first gear, early o/d would that be a d
type? They are not the strongest unit, IIRC the mainshaft has no support at
the rear end so don't try upping the relief valve pressure to get 1st to
work well as this mullers the mainshaft bearing!
Second gear should be ok but I have found that the engagement can be slow on
some o/ds meaning a period of lost drive, again don't try upping the relief
valve pressure to get 2nd to work quickly as this mullers the mainshaft
bearing!
If you are racing short duration races I would recommend stick shifting as
too much can be lost to slow engagement, also during slow engagement with
full throttle there is a tendency for a brief period of disconnection of the
drive which can lead to overrevving!
Also ensure that reverse o/d cannot happen! Can you say Big BANG!
I have extra switches (or extended actuating cams) on all my o/d cars to
enable 2nd o/d, it is wonderful for town use where others enjoy automatics I
can use 2nd and 2nd o/d!

Graham.