TR Starter and Flywheel

To: "Triumphs List" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR Starter and Flywheel
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:47:30 -0600
I'm looking for some guidance here. I'm helping a friend who has a TR
engine. The starter gear (on the starter) is chewed up pretty bad. I know
that Triumph changed the bendix from one that pushed the gear into
engagement with the flywheel to one that pulled the gear into the fly wheel.
I think that at some time someone replaced  a push type with a pull type
starter but failed to change out the ring gear on the fly wheel.
My questions:
1. Will the push type bendix work with a ring gear intended for a pull type
starter?
     ( by work I mean turn the engine over, they have used this starter for
several years.

2. At what engine number did Triumph actually make the switch ?

3. Outside of looking at the ring gear teeth, is there a way to determine
which ring gear is installed in the car ?

Thanks in advance for any help and making me look good :)

Bob Nogueira