RE: Sleeve Retainer goop

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Sleeve Retainer goop
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:21:16 -0800
> I have yet to put my '66 TR4 engine back togather.  Months ago I
> bought some
> $30 (for about a full toothpaste like tube) of 'Hi temp, Hi
> strength SLEEVE
> RETAINER' from NAPA.  At that time I wrote the list and, I believe, the
> consensus was to return it to the store.  Now, however, I can't find the
> receipt and am thinking about giving this 'Permatex goop' to the engine
> rebuilder with the instructions to ,"use it where he can".  This might be
> smart, don't you think? Where should he use it?

Nowhere !

Unless of course you're putting together an engine with abnormally worn
parts.  I use the stuff on my TRactor motor, because the end of my crank is
worn undersize where the pulley hub fits on it.

In spite of the name, you don't want this stuff anywhere NEAR the cylinder
liners !

> Also, this stuff is only for metal parts, takes 24 hrs. to cure
> and want break
> loose without 500 degree heat and then it requires, "presses or pullers".

Maybe I don't have quite the same stuff then, ISTR mine says you can
disassemble it without heat (but with plenty of force).  Worked that way for
me anyway, I was able to remove the hub cold with a beefy harmonic balancer
puller & some ingenuity.

Randall Y