TR4 shock conversion

To: McRuss <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR4 shock conversion
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:59:23 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i7PF1Gt2024661
Message text written by McRuss
>I've been told that there is a conversion kit for TRs to change the rear
lever shocks to 'tube type.'  Sure, I could pick up a catalog and look
there but I'm at the computer and the catalogs are miles away.  Besides,
maybe someone can speak from experience, something the catalogs can't do.
<

There are at least three versions and I've tried two.  The one to avoid at
all costs is the one with nothing more than a bracket that bolts to the
inner wheel well.  This transmits all the shock forces directly to the body
which was never designed for it and will soon suffer from this abuse.

The better one available 14 years ago used three brackets that mounted in
the wheel well, in the trunk area and underneath and created a force path
to the original shock mounts.  The down side was it required drilling 16
good sized holes in the body work.  I took mine off because one side rubbed
the tire when I switched to the 205/70-15 size.

A newer style is now out that mounts to the shock mount on the frame and
has an arm that arcs up into the wheel well and is a single piece version
of the second unit but with smaller dimensions and does not rub the tire as
the old one did.   The KYB shocks that come with it are a bit stiff but
this is a nice setup and easy to install.  This is the one I recommend.

Oh, and there is the coil over conversion that Revington (?) sells but that
requires a bit of machining and welding to install.  A really cool setup
but if you are not in the middle of a frame-off  rather inconvenient to
install.

Dave Massey
71 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: