RE: Brake Bleed screw

To: "'TR'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Bleed screw
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:13:04 -0700
> I replaced my master cylinder today and ran into a bit of a problem.  When
> trying to bleed my rear brakes I broke my bleed screw off.  My questions.
> first is this a reverse threaded screw?

It's not.  It has standard right hand threads (5/16 NF as I recall).

>  Second, can I get this bleed screw
> at advance or autozone?

Don't know about Advance, but I wouldn't even bother calling AutoZone.  They
won't have it.

> Oh. anyone have any advice on getting the rest of the bleed screw out of
the
> cylinder?

Remove the cylinder from the car and strip it of all rubber.  Heat it up
with a propane torch good and hot, then use an EZ-out to remove the broken
bleed screw.  The aluminum cylinder expands faster than the steel screw, so
when you get it hot enough, the screw will be loose.  Don't put too much
force on the EZ-out, and don't leave it in place while you heat the
cylinder.  When you install the new bleed screw, carefully smear just a bit
of anti-seize on the threads but don't get any on the tip.

Randall