RE: Collector insurance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Collector insurance
From: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:48:06 -0700
Cc: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@cox.net>
Jim,

I just signed up with Barlow Insurance
(http://www.kitcar.com/barlow/home.html). Not sure if he provides
coverage in AZ, but even if not, this info might be helpful to others
in CA.

I don't have experience by which to judge the service at Barlow yet.
However, I spoke with Jonathan Barlow  so long that he swore I was a
competing agent calling to scope him out. I was quite pleased with his
answers to questions like "how do I know I'll get good service from
you" or "why shouldn't I just go with someone else?" or "what if I'm
uptight and like to keep my doors door-ding free?"

As far as rate, for reference, I'm paying $157/yr total for
100/300/100, zero deductible, for a $10k TR6 and an $8k GT6. He does do
mileage audits, but he said it really wasn't a problem unless you're
going more than a few k miles a year or something. The cars have to be
kept in a locked garage. And I don't recall the questions being too
nitpicky on use--I too drive mine for fun (who on the list doesn't?),
and I answered honestly, and got coverage.

Hagerty was a close second, and the quote was within $2 of Barlow, but
I noticed Hagerty charges extra for tow coverage. With Barlow, there's
no extra charge for $100 tow coverage (from memory), and Jonathan said
that as long as you're not getting towed too frequently throughout the
year, there's no particular limit on the number of tows.

As a sidenote, I used to pay LESS to Allstate for having the TR6 on the
policy with my 2000 GTI than I would with ONLY the GTI, due to the way
the miles driven worked out. So the TR6 was acting like an insurance
coupon. But that changed for some reason, hence the switch to collector
car insurance. Plus the zero deductible is nice.

Hope that helps...

Steve
71  TR6
72 GT6