VTR Auto Cross Report ST-part 1

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: VTR Auto Cross Report ST-part 1
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
I see that there has been precious little news from the front lines of the VTR
convention in Richmond.   I must plead too busy to the charges of not giving
updates.

I will however, stay up late tonight to give some news of the Autocross.

My description the course:  Very tight and somehow with all the turns
off-camber (well. almost)  It was very challenging and very fun.

Im actually kind of glad my TR6 wasnt ready in time for the convention.
I mean, when Richard Good comes in 3rd in the TR6 Modified class . . . you know
it is tough competition.

Not to say that the people who beat him were any slouches.
Bob Lang can just flat out drive and managed to beat Mr. Good by less than a
tenth of a second.

The class winner and reported FTD was Marty Sukey who managed a full second
faster than Mr. Lang on his very first run.  (His second run was more than 20
seconds slower, but his third run would have still gotten him first in class .
. . so we wont call it a fluke.)

I say reported FTD because although John Lye was correct that Marty was
faster than the swarm of Bug Eyes that showed up, I do believe that there was a
faster time run during the day.  Im combing all the photos I collected to see
if it was, Larry or Paul
(Photos posted later)  :-)

As I said, the course was very tight.  The little cars were really tearing it
up.
Early on Cecil Wise in his Vitesse was setting the pace.
Soon afterwards though, Colin Davis set the mark a few seconds lower in his
GT6.

When Charlie Brown pulled up to the line in his Spitfire 1500 . . . he knocked
the time to beat down another entire second on his first attempt.  Sadly, his
second attempt ended with a blown head gasket, and so well never know if he
could have bettered his own time.  The only consolation for Charlie was that he
was able to repair it while at the convention and drive to the show on Saturday
and back home on Sunday.

more to follow in part 2