RE: Coil

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coil
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:08:24 -0700
> As I put the finishing elements back on the rebuilt engine, I'm
> looking at the
> original coil thinking I might just as well try to keep it.
> Trouble is, my
> replacement (copper core) wire set came with a metal end on it,
> while the old
> coil seems to have been bare wire ended with a plastic screw for
> around the
> wire to hold it into the coil.  Moreover, the coil doesn't seem to make
> electrical connection only at the very base, not around the sides of the
> female end like modern coils.

If you still have the nut and washer from your old wires, you can convert
your new coil wire to the original fitting.  (Moss sells the nut and washer
separately, perhaps TRF does too.)

Cut off the current fitting and strip the wire back a short distance
(roughly 1/4").  Thread the nut onto the wire, then put the bare wire
through the hole in the washer, bend it over and solder it to the brass
washer.

> Do I just break down and buy one of those "blue" type coils
> Randall mentioned lately?

Suit yourself, but it wasn't me that mentioned a "blue" coil.  I regard
Bosch electricals as being only one baby step above Lucas, and use an Accel
coil myself.

Randall