RE: Lining up the pulleys for the fan belt -- TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lining up the pulleys for the fan belt -- TR3A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:50:42 -0700
> During reassembly, the water pump, generator and crankshaft
> pulleys don't line
> up.  (The crank pulley is closer to the engine than the others,
> the generator
> pulley is farthest out and bolted on properly.)
>
> Is there a trick to this?  Or is a visible offset acceptable?

If memory serves, there can be spacers between the hub and the sprocket on
the crankshaft (same spacers as used between the sprocket and the front
main).

You might also check the generator, to see if there are any spacers that
could be removed or shaved to move it back a bit.  If not, the front mount
(the steel bit that always has it's threads strip out) could definitely be
filed down.

A small amount of misalignment is permissible, but I'd say anything more
than 1/8" or so will lead to premature belt wear (especially with the wide
belt used on the TR2-4).  I ran about 1/4" misalignment for a long time, and
belts would only last me a year or two.

Randall