Door Wood for TR3s & TR3As

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door Wood for TR3s & TR3As
From: "Ken Nachman" <k_nachman@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:37:30 -0400
All - the wood inside the doors of my 1957 TR3 has always been a problem.
The sidecurtain brackets, lift the dots studs, and door panel screws have
never wanted to stay. When at Carlisle Import a couple of weeks ago I bought
a trash door to disassemble. The wood in the door consisted of two 5" or so
pieces. So I decided to bite the bullet this weekend and take my worst door
apart and see what the wood looked like. Well.. the wood inside a TR3
smallmouth with no door handles is completely different from a TR3A door. It
consists of three pieces which together span the entire width of the door
and have an interesting groove cut along the top where the capping attaches.
I am having a new piece make. I was wondering if there is a market for this
type of wood piece. I have a friend with a cabinet shop who can create these
pieces for me in his shop. If I am able to persuade my friend to mass
produce these for me would there be a market, and what would be a reasonable
price? Would most people rather make their own?

I hope to have my car back together in time for the VR Nationals.

Ken Nachman
Richmond Triumph Register
1957 Triumph TR3
1963 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD