Steering Rack Install Update

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Install Update
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:59:56 -0400
Well, after installing my new steering rack, I got the front-end aligned
today. Went for a nice long ride. The good news is it tracks very nicely.
The bad news is that the steering wasn't as tight as I expected. In fact it
was almost scary there was so much play. Bummer, I thought. Maybe, I should
have rebuilt the genuine old rack rather than getting an equivalent new one.

I decided to take a look just to see where the play was coming from. OMG,
the rack was moving about 1/2" in the new poly mounts I installed. I had
done the back and forth, loosen and tighten to get the mounts pushed out as
far as possible. I tightened down as much as possible and still had a lot of
play. (Ooops, stripped one of the u-bolts) Well, I pulled things apart and
compared to the old rubber mounts and guess what? The poly mounts are
slightly smaller. I'm guessing the diameter of the rack may be slightly
smaller too. Put the rubber mounts back on and everything's very tight now.

Say, anybody got a spare rack u-bolt clamp to replace the one I stripped?
I'll pay a fair price, but don't want to pay $25 for a new one.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6