RE: TR3 regulator question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 regulator question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:44:01 -0700
> I have done an alternator conversion on my TR3 and have the generator and
> regulator left over, so decided to upgrade my tractor with them (from 11
> amps to 19! wow!) since the generator fits.
> Wiring is pretty simple but then I see the regulator has both an A and an
> A1 terminal. I checked out the TR3 wiring diagram and even though I
> normally understand that stuff, I do not see the purpose of
> having both an
> A and an A1.
> Which one should I use and which one should I ignore?

Jim, as best I can tell, the idea of a A and A1 terminals is to "goose up"
the current output a bit when the demands from the car are heavy.  The
problem arises because this regulator tries to use a single relay to control
both voltage and current, which means the regulated voltage goes down as the
current goes up.  Normally A goes to the battery, A1 goes to the remainder
of the car.

I'm not certain, but I think connecting all to the A terminal should work
best (if splitting them is not an option).  You'll likely notice that the
battery discharges very slightly when working with headlights, and charges
slightly all the time otherwise.

Randall