RE: TR2/3 early starter & later transmissions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3 early starter & later transmissions
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:24:28 -0700
> Wondering if it is possible to fit a later transmission (TR4)
> case on to an
> earlier engine with the bullet nose starter?

Yup, that's what I am running. (Well, actually I used a TR6 case, but it's
similar to the TR4.)

> Any modifications required to
> the transmission case?

Not to the transmission case ... you'll need to modify the rear motor mount
as the 4-synchro box is a bit longer than the 3-synchro, and you'll need to
pound out an additional bulge in the transmission cover to clear the starter
bulge in the transmission case.  The studs in the rear of the engine block
need changed too, and you'll want to be sure the front cover on the gearbox
matches your clutch (TR4 should, TR4A and later needs to be changed).

> Conversely, is it possible to fit the later all-syncro gear set
> into a very early TR2 gearbox?

AFAIK, No.

> I have an A type overdrive unit, so also would need to
> use my early, longer output shaft. Is there compatibility with the early
> and later all-syncro gear sets?

Nope, the output shaft is definitely different between the two boxes.  There
is a company in England that claims to be able to convert your non-OD
mainshaft to OD specs :

OVERDRIVE REPAIR SERVICES (SHEFFIELD)
Unit C3/C4
Ellison's Road
Norwood Industrial Estate
Killamarsh
SHEFFIELD
S21 2JG
ENGLAND
Tel: +44 114 248 2632
Fax: +44 114 248 2786

> Just acquired a TR4 box and wondering if having a first gear syncro would
> be worth the trouble of trying to transplant this feature and
> still retain the O/D?

Personally, I wouldn't bother if your current setup is working OK.  If you
have to have it out anyway, then the conversion might be worth the hassle
... depending a little of course on how you feel about taking a BFH to
50-year old sheet metal.

Randall