Early TR Oil Breather Cap - Mystery Solved

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Early TR Oil Breather Cap - Mystery Solved
From: JClax5817@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:42:46 EDT
Dear Triumph Friends,
On May 26 I stated the following:

I had discovered that my TR3 engine restoration project needed an early style
oil breather cap.
I also said there is an oil breather cap commonly available for the TR3,
identified by the 3 finger indentations, but the style changed to this around
S/N
18XXX.
Furthermore I stated that this cap will not fit the earlier TR3 valve covers,
such as mine (S/N 12916), and that the cap I need is probably the same one as
for the TR2, Triumph part no. 106386.

Some of you provided useful and encouraging responses - thank you - but I
thought I should report back what I found. The answer was far simpler than what
suspected.

After locating an example of the earlier style breather cap and finding out
it also would not fit my valve cover, I focused on something being wrong with
the valve cover.

By comparing mine to other valve covers, the problem was determined to be
caused by the fact that my valve cover had received too much copper buildup
under
the chrome plating during the plating process, in the area where the breather
cap mounted. The O.D. of the pipe on my valve cover is almost 1-9/16",
whereas the hole in the breather cap (both styles) is 1-1/2".

Thanks,
Jack Claxton