ignition and strobe timing: update

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition and strobe timing: update
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:39:13 -0400
I have tested my TR4A engine and find that 8 degrees of advance at idle
(vacuum CONNECTED) correlates to 30 degrees advance at the point it appears to
plateau (or maybe peak) at about 2500-3000 rpm.  I think that if I ran it at
higher RPM, I would see the advance fall off as the vacuum advance component
is lost.

The car does not ping at this setting, so more advance could probably be
tolerated.

>From some sources, it seems that the engines might (or might not) benefit from
more advance, possibly up to 36 degrees total.

-Tony