TR6 Spark Plug Issue

To: "StevesTR" <StevesTR@veroquest.com>
Subject: TR6 Spark Plug Issue
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:58:46 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i5RM1ROJ007969
Message text written by "StevesTR"
>Any spark experts out there? I am left guessing on this one: Everything
on this TR6 is rebuilt, there are no vacuum leaks that I can find. If I
put in a new set of spark plugs, my 74 TR6 will run perfectly for about
500 or so miles. After that it starts missing at low RPM when under
load. <

Have you checked the gap.  The TR6 plugs should be gapped to .025 which is
quite a bit tighter than what is typical of modern cars and you plugs may
come factory gapped at .040 or greater.  The TR6 coil does not put out
enough voltage for that gap under all conditions (Under load at low RPM's,
for example).

I had similar problems and found my plug gaps were on the order of .035.
Reseting the gap cured all problems.

Dave Massey
71 TR6