Now MINE crapped out

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List)
Subject: Now MINE crapped out
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:05:43 +0000
I was driving my just-out-of-restoration 4A.  The engine is all original,
untouched 28,000 miles.  It has been having that problem of being unable to
determine the proper mixture via colortune nor by lifting pins.

As part of that work-up, I had replaced the old original coil with a new "sport
coil", without any apparent improvement.

I left the new coil in place since it is "better".

I drove the car about 100 miles this weekend, and when I was about 8 miles from
home, it developed a serious problem.  It acted as if I had lost a cylinder.  I
thought maybe a spark plug wire fell off, or a plug fouled, or something.

I pulled over and popped the hood.  Al wires in place.  I pulled the plugs and
they all looked fine.  I had no other testing equipment, so I buttoned it back
up and continued on home running on 3 cylinders.

The misfire was getting slightly worse as I drove.  I pulle din to my driveway,
and stopped to open the garage.  THe engine stalled ad was totally dead
afterward.  The starter would spin the engine, but it did not fire AT ALL.

I then got my old original LUCAS cap and put on some new copper core
"bumblebee" wires.  I then put on a new rotor too.  Attempts to start the
engine were unimproved.

I then took off the new sport coil, and put on my old one, dated August, 1966
on the bottom, and the car started and ran just fine.

Now why would the new coil fail after less than 200 miles?  I recently checked
the dwell, and it was fine.

The sport coil is the lucas type 105, and that is suppsed to be correct for
this car (no external ballast needed).

Is there something else I need to look for before I cook another coil?

-Tony

P.S.  I am a "digester" so please CC me personally.