FW: TR3 Restoration

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: TR3 Restoration
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:40:32 -0400
Cc: <tedsemail@earthlink.net>
Ted has a question I can't answer.... He may not yet be on the list, so
please cc: his email in any replies...

Thanks,

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}
56 TR3  - TS13872-L  {project #2}
56 TR3  - TS11820-L  {Dad's}
56 TR3  - TS9169-LO {Anyone seen this car? - Last seen in Missouri in 1964}
phil@pattengale.org
http://www.pattengale.org <http://www.pattengale.org/>

  _____

From Ted Watson [mailto:tedsemail at earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 11:11 AM
To: phil@pattengale.org
Subject: TR3 Restoration

Hi Phil,

It seems that you and your father are doing the same thing my son and I are
doing.  I am restoring a 1956 TR3 and assisting my son with the restoration
of his 1961 TR3A.   Perhaps you can be of some technical assistance to me.
I recently disassembled both engines and had new cam bearings installed in
the blocks.  I am about to reassemble the engines, but as I read about
installing the rear felt seal, I notice the mention of a joining compound
that the felt is soaked in before being stuffed into the sealing plates.  Do
you have any idea what joining compound should be used?  I have completely
assemble TR engines in the past and didn't use any joining compounds.
Perhaps that is the reason for the oil leaks!!  Keep up the work on the
restorations.  My son and I are about a year away from having both cars on
the road before we tackle the restoration of a 1959 TR3A for my eight year
old grandson.

Regards,

Ted

Ted Watson