RE: TRF TR34 valve diameter

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TRF TR34 valve diameter
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:44:14 -0700
> Hi,
> I want to order one exhaust valve for a '66 TR4 or TR4A and the
> TRF website
> shows this valve as fitting both TR3's and TR4's. Here is the
> results from a
> search at their website:
>
>       108806 T34 VALVE,EXHAUST
>      CUR  L 0 15.95
>
>  However, since I have taken apart heads from both models, there
> seems to be a
> difference in valve stem diameter on the two engines I have taken apart.
>
> Is this possibly a misprint at the TRF website, or, has my '60 TR3A been
> fitted with valves having a larger diameter?

Paul, the TRF price list (which is all that is available directly from their
web site) is only an approximate guide, suitable only for double-checking
that you have the right part number to begin with.  You really need a copy
of the SPC for your car.

In your case, assuming your 66 engine has a 66 head (which is by no means a
given), what you want is a :

136567 T4 VALVE,EXHAUST CUR  A 0 12.95

This may seem like an odd way to run a parts business, it certainly did to
me at first.  But, considering how often we get into discussions of exactly
when a particular component was changed, and find that the "authorities"
aren't quite right; and how many examples we have found of the factory
apparently fitting either part interchangeably for awhile; not to mention
how many such interchanges have been done both deliberately and
inadvertently over the years ... I now feel that TRF's method makes far more
sense than that of their competitors.

And, as I've pointed out before, TRF is owned by a genuine Triumph
enthusiast (unlike their competition).  Moss in particular has made no
secret of the fact that they are shifting their focus to other, larger
markets.  So, as I see it, buying primarily from Charles (and thus hopefully
keeping him in business) is my way of helping ensure that the parts remain
available.

Disclaimer : I have no direct financial interest in TRF, but I definitely
have an interest in keeping them alive to continue supplying me with quality
Triumph parts at a reasonable price !

Randall