RE: TR7 idle too fast

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR7 idle too fast
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:32:45 -0700
>  Another thing I thought of is the throttle
> plates.  I think I put them back together the way I took them
> out.  But if I
> goofed, could that be allowing more air/fuel through?

Craig, I know nothing about TR7 carbs.  But most throttle plates have a
right and wrong way to go in, and putting them in the wrong way usually
means they won't close fully.  If you don't find anything with the carbs
still on the engine, then I'd suggest having a look at the plates to see
which way the edges are chamfered to meet the carb bore.  Also be sure they
are centered properly.

It also seems very strange to me that you cannot slow the engine down by
retarding the timing ... after all it should only take 1/8 turn of the
distributor to kill the engine entirely.  Are you sure the vacuum advance
and/or retard line(s) are connected correctly ?  Lack of retard (on an
engine that should have it) will make it idle very fast.  Manifold vacuum
connected to the vacuum advance will do the same thing.

Randall