Falcon Headers and heat problems

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Falcon Headers and heat problems
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:31:30 -0400
I've ordered Falcon Headers for my TR250 and 71 TR6.

 From past threads, I had the impression that ceramic coating the
headers solved the heat problem, or at least went a long way in solving
the heat problem.

I'm now starting to get the impression that that is not true, and unless
I install a heat shield to protect the ZS carbs, the additional heat
from the headers is quite likely to cause problems with the carbs.

Any opinions out there on this subject? Are there folks out there
running street engines and using Falcon headers w/o heat problems? I'll
also be using a stage II cam (274 duration, 110 lobe center, .425 lift
at the valves), somewhere between 9.1 and 9.5 CR if any of that makes a
difference.

Does the brand of header make any difference -- thickness of material or
quality/thickness of the ceramic coating? Are Falcon headers any more or
less likely to cause heat problems?

It's not too late to cancel my order and go with the later dual exhaust
cast iron manifolds. I understand that I need long single tube exhaust
runners to get much savaging -- not the case with the stock dual exhaust
manifold.

Thanks,

Don Malling