RE: TR4a engine timing: some answers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: TR4a engine timing: some answers
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:38:33 +0000
My impression was that he was referring to total advance including the vacuum,
but I am not positive.  I think that I will leave the advance setting right
where it is right now, at 30 total.

I, too, thought that leaking valve guides would only lean the mixture, and one
could compensate as regain the correct mixture.

His thoughts on the subject were that the lower-than-normal flow across the
carb bridge and jet did funny things at these low flow rates (idle) and forces
one to set the carb rich because when you get it "right" it will not idle and
just stalls.

I still have to check the valve train for proper rocker motions, but I would
have had to lose both #1 and #4 the same way....

All in all, I find this entire issue distressingly difficult to solve.  Usually
the problems are obvious once some basic testing is done.  It worries me that I
am missing something and that "something" could be very significant.

-Tony