Re: TR-6 Trans. Removal

To: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Trans. Removal
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:40:18 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Hey Jim,

A non-overdrive or overdrive trany can both be removed from the
interior. I like to drive the car up on ramps before starting because it
makes the lower bell housing bolts & clutch cyl easier to work on.
Disconnect the battery.
1) remove seats (some can do it with only one seat out, I like the
additional room of both out )
2) remove center console ( console, radio, tuck all wiring up nice & neat )
3) remove the console carpet & the trans cover.
4) put a support under the oil pan to keep the engine from dropping when
the bell housing bolts are removed.
5) mark the driveshaft & trany flange to match alignment on reassembly.
6) remove the bell housing  (includes starter & slave cylinder) &
driveshaft bolts
7) wiggle & gently pull on the trany & it should pull away from the engine.
All this sounds straight forward & pretty much is but we all know
there's always something to slow you down.
If you own a Bentley manual they should cover this as well.
Good luck, You'll be a pro in no time :-)

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.