Re: engine racing

To: "INTERNET:IkeLevine@aol.com" <IkeLevine@aol.com>
Subject: Re: engine racing
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:32:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i52CXwgs006760
Message text written by INTERNET:IkeLevine@aol.com
>The engine is inconsistantly racing.

Mornings are no problem.   I can drive fifty miles or more with no problem.

BUT, if I turn off the car and let it sit an hour or two then start it up,
especially if I use the choke, the engine will idle at 1500 but after a
very
short time will race up to 3000 or 4000 rpm.  It isn't a stuck accelerator
peddle,
you can't reduce the engine speed physically by manually releasing a stuck
linkage or carborator setting.
<

It could be the over-run valves are lifting.  These are littl diaghram
operated valves mounted to the side of the carb quite near the throttle
shafts.  These are supposed to pop open when manifold vacuum exceeds 20
inches Hg.  On a 30 year old car the diaghrams become stiff and the valves
don't operate as advertized.

As a test you can remove the valves (three screws) and replace the gasket
with a home-made version that blocks off the passages and see if that
helps.  (I've been testing mine for the last 12 years or so).

Dave