A type overdrive solenoid adjustment

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A type overdrive solenoid adjustment
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:27:13 +1000
Hi List,

Its the second day of winter down under, and I am fiddling with my
overdrive..The problem was that the od was quite slow (3-5 seconds) to
engage, then wouldnt engage at all when the car had warmed up.  I thought
that either the pressure was low, or the operating lever was adjusted too
far back.  I put a gauge on the od, which reads around the 400 psi
mark.which should be enough for normal operation.  I adjusted the operating
lever (on rhs of gearbox) forward.  With solenoid disengaged, the lever sits
with the end pretty much aligned with the hole..

When I switch the overdrive on, (wheels jacked up on stands), the od now
engages immediately with a mighty thump!  This seems to have fixed the slow
engagement problem, but I am now concerned that the solenoid feels
hot.Could this be that the solenoid is maintaining the actuating current (8
amps?)  rather than the holding open current (1 amp?) ?  Or is it just
getting hot from the gearbox casing.I noticed the new rubber boot I
installed 6 months ago is now dry and cracked :-(  The ammeter on the
instrument panel shows a brief discharge on od engagement, then sits around
the zero mark..

Could someone please tell me how to measure the current with a multimeter
with the solenoid in situ?  I am quite happy with voltage and resistance,
but current measurement is not on my list of multimeter skills..

Cheers,

Chris

---