RE: * Plug Gap *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * Plug Gap *
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:58:39 -0700
> OK all - got the spark plugs at lunch time - now I need the gap as I left
> the manual at home.

As I discovered the other day, at least some of the manuals say .032" gap on
the plugs ... which I don't agree with.  I've always used .025".  My
experiments with wider gaps & the stock ignition have not shown any
advantage, and some disadvantages.

If you're running an electronic ignition, you *might* be OK at .032" ... but
IMO you can expect increased ignition problems due to the higher voltages
involved.

> The car starts off from rest OK and then it seems as though at least one
> cylinder just drops off, sometimes kicking back in.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if there is a wire at fault that is shifting in
> position or something...

Could well be a bad wire, or a bad connection somewhere.  I took the cap &
wires off of my daily driver TR3A the other day to help a friend ... imagine
my amazement when one of the wires fell out of the cap !

Be sure your wires are metal core ... "carbon core" wires don't get along
well with the stock TR2-4 dizzy cap in my experience.  The carbon tends to
burn away where the screw pierces the wire.  If you want to use carbon core
wires, get a 71-onwards MGB (or Midget ?) cap (which will fit the TR3 dizzy,
but take standard snap-in high tension connectors).

If all else fails, try a different rotor (preferably an old one that was
running fine when removed).  There's been a rash of bad rotors in the last
few years, and the failure is not always apparent.

Randall

PS, it's always a good idea to mention what car you're asking about.  With
upwards of 1500 different people on all the lists I'm on, I can't always
remember who has what ...