RE: Fwd: RE: TR3 and oxygen sensors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fwd: RE: TR3 and oxygen sensors
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:27:05 -0700
> He is right that it
> syncs (synchs? psynchs?)

Short for synchronizes ... up to you if the 'h' is included or not ...

> However it can be
> applied to part throttle a bit if you try hard enough.

My apologies, didn't mean to say it could not be done ... only that it's a
royal PITA with the more expensive tool.  Much easier with the 'SU toolkit'
for half the price ... basically you deliberately set the idle stops out of
sync such that when you tighten the clamp and open the throttle a bit, the
carbs become synced with the throttle open.  To make a change, you let the
engine idle, loosen the clamp, adjust one of the idle screws a bit, tighten
the clamp and try it again.  After 2 or 3 tries, it should be just right;
then you adjust the idle stops to bring the idle back into sync and you're
done.

>  The question
> you ask is why they'd be unsync'ed in the first place.

On the TR2/3, the force on the flexible linkages is always in the same
direction.  I believe that, over time and heat cycles, they sag like other
springs.  Plus of course, you pretty much have to disassemble at least one
of the flexible links (thereby destroying the synchronization) when you
remove the carbs from the manifold.

> The linkages are typically (and
> for all I know, always) attached by clamps tightened down by small
> bolts and nuts, some odd size like 5/32nds or something like that.

They are actually British Standard (or is it British Association, I forget)
... take a Whitworth wrench.

Randall