D type solenoid

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Nelson Riedel" <NARiedel@adelphia.net>, <john@quantumechanics.com>
Subject: D type solenoid
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:11:22 -0400
Cc: <handhvan@MSN.COM>
Guys I need tech help

One minute, I think I have the OD sorted and then..  I am beginning to
question the solenoid. I removed the cover plate and when I activate the
solenoid it barely pulls the plunger in. I can give it a tiny bit of
assistance and it will grab it. Once engaged it holds it.

Sometimes it will work correctly. This was a solenoid that came with the
unit. I really don't know it's history.. I considered grounding problems
so I cleaned the area around the engine ground to make sure it has a
good ground. One problem I had with the unit was that it would shift in
and out of OD even when no power was applied. I found the tiny hole in
the lifting valve was plugged, not allowing the oil and pressure to
drain off.

Is there a way to test the solenoids while in place?

 If it is bad does anyone have a good spare they could part with? The
southeastern regional is next week, and I would really like for the unit
to be working before we travel?

Ronnie