Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:47:13 -0400
Just to throw some fat on the fire...... I am of the opinion that any
good mineral oil of the right viscosity will work fine in our cars.
We're not talking about jet engines here, guys. The engines were
designed 40 years ago and the oil can be changed quite easily.

On a historic note, long ago there was something to the designation
"Pennsylvania grade." Oils from PA and the area surrounding it were
known to have a higher paraffin content than Texas oils. This gave a
greater film strength. When my father worked for General Electric
just after WWII he was involved with the Vulcan multi-barrel gun. The
engineers specified Pennsylvania-grade oils for all parts of the
weapon. During one test, a technician failed to use it and the gun
seized almost immediately. These days I suspect there is not as much
to differentiate the various grades because of the use of additives.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (27 year owner)