Re: Best speeding lines...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best speeding lines...
From: Harlyred1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:03:45 EST
I'm a retired cop, and am enjoying reading the responses. Let me
opine......the color of the car NEVER influenced weather or not i pulled
someone over or
wrote them paper. If you were in a TR3, you never got a ticket. But you may
have been pulled over so I could get a look.
If you were a pretty girl, and you showed me someone thigh or other skin, you
also got as much paper as i could justify.( Early in my career i was told of
an Internal Affairs Investigator who would do just that to see if she could
get out of a ticket, and thereby get the cop in trouble. She ruined it for a
lot
of young ladies)
Someone griped about an "almost" ticket for 7 mph over the limit. In a
village near here, the limit on a major 2 lane road is 40. All the locals know,
that
means 40, NOT 41+. Thats the norm in that village, so it is adhered to as
that is what the residents wants the cops to do.
 When I wrote on highways 55+, I would stop people doing 70+, plea bargain on
the spot for a 63 in a 55 ticket, thereby no insurance increase. I always
told the people I did this for, that they could fight it. In which case I would
amend the ticket to the original speed. The one fool who did contest my ticket
got the 77 in a 55 conviction. Sometimes you can't do the right thing for
people. When I plea bargained on the spot, I almost always got a very
appreciative
thank you. We would both leave with a smile.
The one way a person almost always got away free.........a working class man
or woman with kids in the car, polite behavior, and an offense that was not
reckless in nature. When I was a kid, my dad got a ticket for an unregistered
car. We were taking my uniformed Marine officer brother to the airport, my dad
had just purchased the car ( one of many older, but roadworthy cars that
defined his life) and there was a problem with the title. it was insured and
inspected. The cop was rude and didnt want to hear that the car was the only
means of
transportation yadda, yadda, yadda. My father oozed politeness and when he
got the ticket that probably cost a weeks salary to a guy who had 6 kids, 3 of
them in uniform at the time, his response was that the cop was just doping his
job. I never wanted to make a man or his kids feel like that cops did us in
1968.