tr6 question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr6 question
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:21:07 -0600 6.0.3HF125 | November 26, 2003) at 03/02/2004 11:21:07, Serialize complete at 03/02/2004 11:21:07, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 03/02/2004 11:21:10 AM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 03/02/2004 11:21:14 AM, Serialize complete at 03/02/2004 11:21:14 AM
Cc: yellowtr@adelphia.net
Bob,

Since I'm on digest, others may have already answered, but having owned 3
TR6s, but by no means an expert, here is my best shot.   The TR6 frame has
two metal reinforement plates (one on top and one on bottom) at the center
of the frame between the differential and transmission (the two plates and
frame sections form a "tunnel" which the driveshaft passes through).  This
is a very critical structural point for the TR6 frame near where the rear
trailing arm sections join at the center.  It is commonly referred to as
the "T-shirt" (don't ask me why).  If this car is missing one or both of
these plates (if in fact that is what he's referring to), this frame is
very suspect.  It could mean a botched repair job to fix a damaged or
rusted frame.  You could weld a new bottom plate on without removing the
body, but not the top plate.  And even if it IS the bottom plate that is
missing, you would need to be very precise and careful in checking the
proper alignment of the frame.  It may require some frame straightening in
the process since it has lacked this reinforcement.  Personally, I would
be very leery of this car and would assume that I would have to spend some
money and time on the frame. Maybe even have to remove the body since this
could just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of frame problems. I would
also want to know why that structural piece is missing in the first place.
 What has that poor car been through.

Best Regards,
Greg Hutmacher
1976 TR6