RE: TR6 thrust washer, bearing question

To: <TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 thrust washer, bearing question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:27:13 -0700
> I know, I know; some of you are going
> to say that as long as I am into it, I should replace all the
> bearings just to be safe.  But I've just finished a long job on
> my daily driver (Spit), and I need to be getting to some "honey
> dos" soon or I'm in trouble!  Am I making a mistake?

Tim, I must be missing something here.  If you've got the engine apart
enough to feel the bearings, you're 95% of the way done to replacing them,
no ?  I sure would.

> Another thing.  I replaced the thrust washers with new ones.  My
> cheapo caliper says that the old ones and the new ones are
> identical in width (.093 in) despite the fact that the old ones
> have none of the gold colored (brass?) plating that the new ones
> have.  There is a little indication of scuffing on the old ones,
> but very little wear at all.  The oil grooves show up nicely.
> So, did these washers have no plating on them from the start?

My guess is that they didn't have the gold colored layer to begin with.

> Or, is it possible that all of the plating could be worn off
> (even in the grooves), and that these were oversized to start
> with?

Seems unlikely, unless the end play is too large with standard thrusts.

>  I have attached a picture of the old thrust washers.

Can't send attachments through the list, you should know that.

Randall