Re: TR250 top

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 top
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:27:38 -0400
Hi John,

Zip anything I guess. I'm the original owner and I could not get a Zip
down or Zip out window when I bought it, and I asked. I never saw a
TR250 window that was Zip anything at the time (68) and I have never
seen once since (that I understood to be OEM replacement -- maybe my
mistaken assumptions at work).

Obviously, I have never seen all the TR250 tops that were made or even a
significant number of them, but none that I have seen were Zip anything.
  But I could be wrong. I hope I am. I have never seen any "official"
documentation that said fixed rear windows were all that was available
-- it's only from the few I have seen, and what is usually listed in
catalogs. The TR6 is always listed with what we call a zip out (I
understood this to be zip down -- could be wrong), the TR250 is not.

Did the top you are talking about have the standard TR250 reflective
stripes -- over the top of the rear window -- which are different than
the TR6 reflective stripes (along the bottom)? I never saw an original
TR250 w/o the reflective stripes.

I believe many different tops would fit a TR250. I was not sure a TR4A
top would fit, but it obviously does if you interchanged them. But
certainly TR6 tops will fit. Could be anything was on any individual car.

I'm about to put a Zip down on my car and I would be very very happy to
know that you are correct and they were original equipment -- but I
don't think they were.

Perhaps others could comment on what they saw at the time?

Don Malling