RE: How do it know? Further electrical questions

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: How do it know? Further electrical questions
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:52:24 -0400
Cc: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>, "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6UHuVMn026356
Message text written by "Randall Young"

>The sockets I got both from TRF and from James Paddock (in the UK) no
> longer have the bulb ground connected to the clip like the old ones do,
so if
>you don't ground the ground terminal, the lights won't work properly.

I must say I am suprised that the supply chain is selling sockets that
require a wiring modification.  Although that sort of thing doesn't phase
me it can befuddle a hobbyist who isn't so electrically savy.  I guess you
sell what you can get.

>> Which wire goes on which terminal?  I don't know but if you hook them up
>> any old way you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.
>
>With 3 terminals, the odds of getting it right at random are only 1 in 6
>and if you accidentally interchange the ground and turn connections,
>everything will appear to work but your taillights won't be as bright as
>they should be.
<

I was working with a reduced set.  I assumed (there's that word again) that
 the ground terminal was identified and that leaves one with determining
which was the tail light and which was the brake light.  An ohmmeter check
will quickly determine which is the ground and that leaves you with the
delema: which little button in the bottom is for which filament.  Hence:
hook it up and see what happens.

Cheers

Dave