Back on list WHOOPEE(and electrics question)!

To: jbzimmerman <jbz@ronin7.com>
Subject: Back on list WHOOPEE(and electrics question)!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:36:05 -0400
Message text written by jbzimmerman
>   Wow, it's great to be back on-list...now I just gotta get my webpage
back up, darn it. :-/  In any case, naturally, I have a question!  I was
fixing some piece of behind-dash wiring for the n-teenth time, and I had
a thought...does anyone make a central, programmable power controller
that I could put in my TR6?  That way I could have all the relay action
in a single module, run only one hot line, run piddling power to my
controls rather than full current, etc. etc.   I searched around the web
for a while, but all I could find was stuff on the modern CANs
(Controller Area Networks) which essentially means putting network
controlled switches on everything.  Not likely. :-)
   Anyway, I was thinking of something programmable like the Crestron
controllers are for A/V stuff...a module that lets me define inputs,
outputs, and relaying behavior based on switch inputs.  Anybody seen
anything like this? Or is it better just to buy a bunch of
single-purpose relays?
<

Welcome back, JB.

When you consider the limited number of functions at each end of the car it
makes sense to just run simple relays and small gauge wires for the control
signals to each relay.  What do we have?
Front end:
Headlamps (High and low)
Running (parking lights)
Horns
Electric cooling fans (if so equipped)
And turn signals (I don't recommend using relays on the turn signals since
you will have to resort to an electronic flasher that is not current
sensitive and you loose the current - based bulb failure indication (lack
of flashing) you get from the stock circuit - but that is a personal
decision).

So you have four or six relays in front.  and three in back.  25 ft of 8
conductor unshielded cable will do nicely.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (someday a full custom wire harness)