Spit differential 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6BHBpOo029106

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit differential 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6BHBpOo029106
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:11:46 -0400
Yesterday I started to pull off the axle shafts on my Spit so that I could
replace the U-joints.  Well, the U-joints do need replacement, but the
differential also seems to have way too much play in it.  I have one off of a
parts car, but it isn't much better.  My first thought was to try a rebuild,
especially since I could practice on the one from the parts car (the case is
pretty beat up and two of the mounting studs are broken).  However, in looking
at the price of parts, it appears that I would be saving less than $100
compared to buying a rebuilt one from Victoria British.  I am leaning toward
saving myself the labor even though I like to learn how to do things like this.
 My question is, what do you folks think about the rebuilds from VB compared to
Moss and TRF?  For that matter, what about the quality of the parts if I decide
to try it myself?  I'm not trying to start a thread to bash anyone.  I just
want to know the collective wisdom of the list on quality before I spend $650
plus shipping.

Thanks for your advice.

Tim