RE: Does anyone know what the TR rods are made of? Cast iron, Carbon ste

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Does anyone know what the TR rods are made of? Cast iron, Carbon steel..?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:22:19 -0700
> Just a question on the TR rod manufacture...what is the
> difference between
> 'stamping' and 'forging'?

I dunno, I was just parroting the words from the book.

Normally, I would think a stamping is made cold and involves cutting the
metal, while most forging is done with the metal near it's melting point.
However, the rods clearly aren't stamped in that sense.  Perhaps they meant
something like drop forging, while the crank is pressed or rolled instead.

"The Connecting Rods (Fig. 6) are molybdenum manganese steel stampings being
provided with phosphor bonze small end bushes and precision type big end
bearings."

Fig 6 and 7 also clearly show the split in the piston skirt, which someone
asked me about some time ago.

Randall