new lister here

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: new lister here
From: charles dubois <duboistr3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

My name is Charlie DuBois and I am finally trying to get my 58 TR3 going again.
 It has been about 15 years since it was last used.

I have been observing this list and I see where one can learn a great a deal.

Currently the TR starts fine, has the same compression in each cyclinder(170
PSI) but it has a very distinct knocking at idle.  The knocking goes away as
you accelerate and it is completely gone when you reach approxiatemately 2500
RPM.  It returns as soon as you let up on the gas.

I am guessing it may be a bearing problem. Is it more likely connecting rod
bearings or main bearings?

 I have not done that kind of work before but part of the reason I like this
car is because I get to get dirty and learn new things.  So can I get some
advice on what the problem may be and what steps can I take to fix it.

Thanks!

Charlie DuBois -
Poughkeepsie,NY
58 TR3 - 31682E