87MM Head Gaskets

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 87MM Head Gaskets
From: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:56:24 -0700 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h61HtZBd023703
When putting my 4A head back on I've found that the copper gasket appears to be
too small. It looks like the gasket is for an 83 or 86 MM liner set, and
doesn't fit an 87MM set.  The gasket extends over the inside edge of the
chamber by just a fraction. If I torque down the head won't it compress the
gasket extend into the chamber even more?  Has anybody else found this?

I was warned about this by my local guru who says he's found that the gasket
won't last more than 5000 miles. The gaskets from Moss, TRF and VB all come
from GasketWorks. So, I originally tried a solid copper gasket, which fit
perfect, but couldn't get it to seal up, even after torqueing down to 140 lb.

Then I got a gasket from Rimmer Bros who swears this is the correct gasket but
it also looks too small. (It has no markings, but the package says "Made in
England" on it.)  I know the older one, which I still have but obviously can't
use, has larger openings.

Does anybody else have this problem? What did you do? And, is there another
source?

John in San Diego
'67 TR4A IRS