6 Cylinder Exhaust Headers. . High and Wide

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 6 Cylinder Exhaust Headers. . High and Wide
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks,

Ive got two sets of exhaust headers for the 6 cylinder Triumphs.

One of them came off my TR6 and at one point was ceramic coated and looked
pretty awesome.

After a few years and many thousands of miles. . .  it has seen better days.
Theres a big patch of baked on  . .I mean burnt on . .oil dripping that ran
down the side.
Some rust has also started showing through in places.

The other set came off a later GT6 engine that I acquired.  Its surface is
covered with rust, but seems structurally fine.

The two headers are significantly different in their design, even though they
are both 6 into 1 affairs.

Ill take my best shot at describing them:

Header A, which came off my TR6,  brings pipes from two cylinders (such as 1
and 6) down and stacks their outlets on top of each other.

In this way there are essentially three layers of two pipes moving away from
the engine.
Two pipes  close to the engine.
Two pipes close to the frame
And two pipes in the middle.

Ill call this a two high and three wide arrangement.

Header B, which came off the GT6 engine, brings pipes from three cylinders and
stacks their outlets on top of each other in a vertical row.
Three pipes close to the engine
Three pipes close to the frame.

Ill call this a three high and two wide arrangement.

Truthfully the two high and three wide was an ULTRA tight fit between the
engine and the frame.
The inner pipe actually rubbed the edge of the oil pan.  (thus the oil leak and
burnt area on the pipe)
The outer pipe was exceptionally close to the frame.

I would think the Three high and two wide  arrangement would allow for
significantly more clearance in this tight area.

So   . ..  two questions:
Am I right in assuming that a GT6 exhaust header will fit a TR6 engine?

Any hints for economically sprucing this set of headers up?    Abrasive blast
and coat with . . . some bake on coating (eastwood sells them if I remember
correctly)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday