tr3a carbs etc....saga continues.

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tr3a carbs etc....saga continues.
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:25:55 -0400
Afternoon all,

Well, well, well it is a wonderful sweltering afternoon here in southern
Ontario :-)  The saga of the idling carbs continues.  I have replaced the
spark plugs and the wire.  Much better as I have said before.  Turned back
the timing to eliminate the pinging, now after about 30 minutes of driving
there is a slight ping on heavy acceleration.

Went out this morning and decided to feel lucky and jumped in the '3 turned
the ignition on, pressed the starter and with about a  1/8 sec of starter
she came to life :-) Cool, now I know what "FT" means now.  But she has a
hard time idling, so give her a little choke, being "cold" and all.  Once I
got her out on the road she acted better.

When coming to a stop. if I use no downshift and roll to a stop almost every
time she will sputter and almost stall, if I downshift through the gears,
then almost every time she will idle on her own at the stop.  Running with a
bit of choke helps the idle, which indicates to me that she is still running
a little lean.  I need to check the plugs when I get home.

If I miss the first firing from the 1/8 sec of starting, she won't start for
a while no matter how much cranking or choke.  I checked the throttle shaft
when she is warmed up and it is snug, no movement whatsoever.

On the upside, running at 60mph, I put my foot to the floor and wow, I get
shot back into the seat and before I know it I am doing 85mph, cool :-D

Question: am I still on the right track here?

Thanks to all that have helped so far, I think I am getting closer to
ideal....

David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a
'74 Triumph Spitfire