RE: timing

To: AOH9999@aol.com
Subject: RE: timing
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:20:47 -0700 FILETIME=[A6D490A0:01C336A8]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> If we are talking about ignition timing then loosen the clamp bolt at the
> base of the distributor and rotate the dizzy until the timing is correct
> and then snug up the bolt to prevent rotation.  Disconnect the vacuum line
> to the distributor, reset the idle to 800 RPM and set the timing to 10 deg
> BTDC.  Reconnect the vacuum line and reset the idle.

Dave's right on the money, but I'll add that US models generally have a
timing spec like 4 ATDC.  This is to be measured only with the vacuum retard
connected and operating.  If you disconnect it, you should use the 'static'
timing specification, which as Dave says is 10 BTDC for earlier TR6, but I
think changed to 12 BTDC on later TR6.  IMO this is the preferred way to set
the timing, but emission requirements say the other figure has to be met,
which may be an issue if your car is subject to emission inspection.

Randall