RE: TR3 - lubricating prop. shaft universal joints

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 - lubricating prop. shaft universal joints
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:45:33 -0700 FILETIME=[1723D1C0:01C335FC]
> 1. I greased both propellor shaft universal joints with grease and
> then read in the guide I was supposed to use oil. The guide I used
> was: Practical hints for the maintenance of the Triumph TR3, 6th
> edition. Question: have I done something fatal or is it OK to use
> grease at these locations?

I've always used grease in the U-joints (didn't even know the owner's manual
said otherwise) and I've never had one fail.

> 2. The grease nipple location for the splines just behind the front
> u-joint has been plugged with a bolt for some reason. Brain says
> splines need greasing and I should try to put a new nipple in, but
> fingers say this is an awful place to get into without taking off the
> tunnel. Is it important to grease the splines or can I leave it as it
> is?

Well, skipping it once or twice probably isn't too bad ... but if it's
plugged, when was the last time it was greased ?  The splines do work back
and forth as the rear suspension moves (although not by much), you probably
don't want things getting rusty in there.

I'll admit it's been awhile, but I don't recall that fitting being that hard
to get to from under the car.  Might need a long extension ...

Randall