Re: Sparkplug Wires and Distributor Sequence

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sparkplug Wires and Distributor Sequence
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:20:58 -0700
MotoPsyche@aol.com wrote:

>...the plug leads
>coming from the distributor connect as follows: the upper left wire goes to
>cylinder 3 (counting back from the front of the car), the upper right wire
>goes to
>cylinder 1, the lower left wire goes to cylinder 4, and the lower right wire
>goes to cylinder 2.

Could be the drive gear as Randall suggests, or could just be the
distributor stuck in there about 90 degrees off.  What I'm not clear on
is whether your distributor cap is wired correctly (#1 & #2 wires go
into the raised portion of the cap) or if someone had rewired it as
Randall mentions (e.g. #3 & #1 into the raised portion of the cap).

If the cap is wired correctly and the distributor just in there at a
goofy angle then I think this is fairly easy to remedy (my TR3A was this
way when I got the car).  If it is the drive gear then you are probably
going to want to live with it for awhile.

I'll admit I may be all wet here (recent threads have proven the shallow
depth of my electrical knowledge) but I think a clear picture of how the
cap is wired makes a difference.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4