Re: Beaver commercial

Subject: Re: Beaver commercial
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:45:58 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
a Wallace wrote:

>Re: Molson beaver commercial.
>I'm sorry I tried to resist contributing to this but that commercial:
>http://www.spooky.ws/movies/others/
>really disparages beavers. As a Canadian who has beavers living just a few
>hundred feet away, I can tell you that:
>a) beavers are much bigger than that - even a strong lumberjack of a Canuck
>couldn't lift one up on a bar that easily
>b) that guy with a beaver on his neck would not have lived to the end of
>the commercial - after all, they chew through trees as a hobby
>c) the beaver would not have waited for the word "attack" if someone was
>giving a Canadian a hard time
>Having said all that, I do like the commercial...
>Jim Wallace, wearer of plaid shirts - and yes I say eh? all the time, it's
>a great word with many subtle meanings....

Jim,

You've missed a few things here.

1. That was a young beaver. A mere sprat of a beaver. A beaver in training.

2. The beaver was being trained in a manner similar to a police dog.
Non-fatal disablement is the goal (unless taunted severely). A
subsequent commercial does feature the same people. The rude fellow is
shown heavily bandaged and in a neck brace.

3. This is a transplanted Minnesota beaver. The use of Canadian beavers
as personal assault weapons is prohibited for the very reason you state.
Canadian beavers are not reasonable at all when it comes to being
insulted. Hair triggered and prone to extreme violence, they have been
deemed unsuitable for use by civilians. They are, however, used
extensively by Canadian Special Forces in "wet work".

Andy Litkowiak