Question about grade 8 bolts (no LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Question about grade 8 bolts (no LBC)
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:50:38 EDT
To the list,
I have a question that may be overly simple for many of you, but I do not
know the answer and I am curious.  I am working on a project that involves a
place that I will keep my TR6 eventually (the LBC content) and I have a
question
about bolt grades.  The question very simply is this,  if grade 8 bolts are
used with a lower grade nut does the whole assembly become a grade 2 or 5 or
whatever application based on the strength of the nut.  In my particular case,
am more concerned about shearing force that I am stretching force if that makes
sense and I was just curious about how these ratings work.  I am on the
digest mode and if anyone can give me a simple answer, just reply off list.
Thanks in advance.
David Gill
1976 TR6