RE: Transmission differences

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission differences
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 13:08:32 -0700
> What is the difference in a non overdrive transmission for the
> TR4 and TR6?

There are lots of minor differences, depending on just which year TR6 it
came from.

> Can I put a six trans in my four without any modifications?

You may need longer studs in the rear of the engine block, the lip was
thicker on the later transmissions.

Also, the speedometer drive ratio changed at some point, I think around 1974
(but I could be wrong about the year).  If your new transmission has the
later speedo drive, your speed and distance will read some 15% high.

If your TR4 still has the stock 'lever' clutch, you may need to swap input
shaft housings between the old and new transmission.  The housing was
shortened for the diaphragm clutch, and it seems the shortened housing is at
least part of the reason TR6 have clutch problems more often than the TR2-4.

The input shaft got shorter at some point, but several people (including me
on a previous car) have used the shorter shaft with no problem.  Changing
the pilot bearing would be a good idea, though.

That's all I can think of offhand.  The output flange is a different shape,
but I believe it will bolt up.
Randall