Re: Bonehead auto repair mishap

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bonehead auto repair mishap
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:09:22 +0100
Hi Rich
How about the recently appointed freshly trained safety representative on
our shop floor, drilling small aluminium item whilst wearing cotton cloth
gloves to keep his fingers clean! He still has the little finger but it
really looks like he would have been better off if it was gone, sticks out
at a useless angle, no movement, though the docs say it will recover!

I was working with a guy on a pillar drill steadying a six foot bar whilst
he was drilling it, the swarf that had been spiralling up the drill fell off
and grabbed his shop coat and started winding it up, I dare not let go of
the bar to reach the stop button for fear of shattering the 1 1/4 inch drill
in our faces, I had to work along the bar to stop the machine. about a
second I think, seemed like for ever! Fortunately the drill was on a low
speed and his shop coat was old and the stitching ripe, it had torn the
sleeve right off and the only injury was a small bruise on his arm and two
cases of shock. It could have been much worse!

Incidentally, one of the risks with a lathe I would consider far more
dangerous than a file watch etc (I always remove my watch for filing on a
lathe!) is polishing with emery tape, it can tighten up overlap and wind in
faster than a blink, and if you are holding it wrong it will take your thumb
with it, if you are lucky you get your nail sanded and your thumb print
removed!

Graham.